A high-quality website is vital for a successful business. An unattractive or poorly designed website can actually hurt your business rather than help it. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to website design, which is why custom web design is essential. However, there are general components that any successful website must have.
How Your Website Can Stand Out from Your Competitors
The site should have good organization and not be cluttered. It should be clean and professional looking because this most likely the first impression a visitor will have of your company, and it should be positive. Some guidelines for creating a good first impression are:
- A good color scheme that uses two or three primary colors will set the mood of the site. Color should not dominate the page, but enhance the content.
- Easy to read text is essential. If a visitor has to strain to read your text, they will probably not make the effort. Black text on a white background is the best, but there are other good options. The fonts should also be clear and large enough to read easily.
- Good graphics will not dominate the page. Meaningful graphics that enhance the meaning of the content are the best. One page should not have more than three or four images.
- Good photography is hard to come by, but there are good pictures online that are free. A website builder will have thousands of free graphics and photographs from which to choose.
- White space between text and pictures is essential for clarity. Blank spaces can highlight text better than flashing images that may only confuse the visitor.
Good Content is Crucial
Today, search engines can determine if a website is stuffed with keywords or has valuable content to offer. The ones with good content are given higher rankings on search engines pages. While keywords are still important for search engine optimization (SEO), content that adds value for the reader is more important. Keywords should be used to support the content. It is definitely worth having a professional write your website content. Good content will put you at the forefront of your field, and readers will look to you for the latest information.
Ease of Use
Your website may be attractive and have good content, but if it takes more than two clicks to get more information, you may not hold visitors. The pages should load quickly, and there should be minimal scroll for each page. The layout should be the same for each page, so visitors do not have to search for the checkout box each time. Components should work quickly and correctly. Hyperlinks, site search, contact forms, registration and more should all work as promised.
Free, customized website design is easy to get from professional website design companies such as web.com. There is no excuse for your business to have a shabby website that is sending potential customers to your competitors. With a professional, your website can be setup for smartphone capability and be regularly monitored to make sure it is serving you well.